Petrie Terrace State School acknowledges it resides on the traditional lands of the Turrbal people. We respectfully acknowledge the original custodians and the rich unwritten history that took place for tens of thousands of years prior.
40 Moreton Street, Paddington, Queensland.
Petrie Terrace State Boys' school (Number 80) opened on 23 March 1868. Until 1875, the school comprised both boys' and girls' sections.
On 25 January 1875, a new building for the girls was opened separating the girls and infants into the newly created Petrie Terrace Girls' and Infants' School (school number 250).
Petrie Terrace State Girls' and Infants' School closed in 1953, when the older girls were transferred to the newly created Petrie Terrace State School and the Petrie Terrace Infants' School, established on the site of the existing school.
On 29 June 1953, the Petrie Terrace Boys' State School changed classification to become Petrie Terrace State School, a mixed school comprising boys from the Petrie Terrace Boys' School and the girls from the former Petrie Terrace Girls' and Infants' School. The school retained the number 80. The new State School was established on the site of the former Petrie Terrace Boys' School.
At the same time the Petrie Terrace State Infants' school (Number 250) was opened. This was formed when the infants' section separated from the Petrie Terrace Girls' and Infants' School and the older girls were moved to the new Petrie Terrace State School. Provision was also made for Opportunity Classes and the Admission Registers for 1953-54.
Petrie Terrace Infants' School closed in 1960 and the infants were transferred to Petrie Terrace State School. The decision was taken to establish a separate Opportunity School in place of the existing opportunity classes attached to the Infants' School. The new Opportunity School was called initially the Petrie Terrace Opportunity School and later Baroona Special School.
The current buildings were constructed in 1969 after a fire destroyed the original school. At the time of the fire the school had 350 students.
Petrie Terrace suburb history
Petrie Terrace State School is located within the suburb of Paddington, but its catchment and natural affiliation with the Petrie Terrace name has a long and proud tradition.
Petrie Terrace was established as a suburb between 1860 and 1900.
The suburb was named after Andrew Petrie, father of Brisbane’s first mayor, John Petrie, (1859 - 1902).
The early settlers built mainly workers cottages of tin and timber on small allotments, however a number of terrace houses were built and some remain to this day.
Petrie Terrace at that time covered the area developed on the western slope of the ridge running from today’s Milton Road to Musgrave Road at the Normanby Junction.
On the eastern slope the gaol and Victoria Barracks were located and to the west of the area across Hale Street was the Paddington cemetery. The cemetery was relocated in 1916 and now Suncorp Stadium, formerly Lang park football ground, occupies part of the former site.
In 1840, what is known as Petrie Terrace State School was established along with shops, a hotel and churches. The original school buildings were unfortunately decimated by fire and the current school was rebuilt in 1969.
In the mid 1970’s, locals realised the historical importance of Petrie Terrace and it manifested in its gentrification.
At around the same time, a proposal was put to residents to discontinue the name “Petrie Terrace” as a suburb.
However, public objections to the change of such a historic name led to the decision to retain the name Petrie Terrace but to change its name status from suburb to unbounded neighbourhood within the suburb of Brisbane City.
Happily, in early 2010, a review of the naming of Petrie Terrace as Brisbane City was undertaken and with overwhelming support from residents, businesses and community members alike for it to be returned to Petrie Terrace the suburb and take its rightful place in history’s page.
Petrie Terrace will retain its postcode of 4000.